Your privacy is very important to us. We recognize that visitors to our website may be concerned about the information they provide to us and how we treat that information. The following information concerning the gathering and use of personal information through this website is being provided to enable you to make knowledgeable choices about whether to provide information to us and to give you the opportunity to limit the manner in which personal information about you is used. Please read this privacy statement carefully before using this website. Your use of this website indicates your consent to our processing, use, disclosure and transfer of your personal information, as described in this privacy statement. We may revise this privacy statement from time to time. You are responsible for checking this statement when you visit our website to review the current privacy statement. If you do not agree with the privacy statement, please cease use of the site immediately.
What information does United Way of Metropolitan Chicago gather through the website?
You will need to provide certain information to obtain services or to complete transactions initiated by you through the website. If you choose not to provide information, we may not be able to provide those services or to complete those transactions. Please keep in mind that filling in more optional fields enables United Way of Metropolitan Chicago to provide enhanced products and/or services to you. You may also be required to provide additional registration information to obtain special services or to complete transactions initiated by you (e.g., recording a stated desire to donate online through this site as a part of a company-sponsored campaign).
Information gathered when making a donation or pledge
To make a donation through the website, you may need to provide additional information relevant to your contribution in order to complete your pledge/gift transaction (e.g., if you choose to give by credit card, you will be prompted to provide information such as your credit card number).
Information gathered through traffic monitoring
Like many other websites, this site is equipped with a program that monitors traffic by automatically recording every visitor’s host and/or IP address. This program tracks the number of times the website is visited, how many visitors come to the site, and which parts of the site those visitors frequent. United Way of Metropolitan Chicago does not disclose this information to anyone outside of the organization. Our website logs are not personally identifiable, and we make no attempt to link them with the individuals that browse the site.
This website utilizes cookies to provide user-specific feedback in the news and events pages.
How does United Way of Metropolitan Chicago use personal information?
United Way of Metropolitan Chicago uses personal identifiable information gathered from you in connection with the provision of the services available to you through the website and in completing the transactions initiated by you. Listed below are some of the ways in which your information may be used:
- to improve United Way of Metropolitan Chicago services;
- to customize the content and/or layout of our site for each individual visitor;
- to notify you about new opportunities or activities of United Way of Metropolitan Chicago or our agencies;
- to ask for your participation in brief surveys;
- to generate aggregate statistical studies;
- to complete any transactions you initiate on the website, which will include providing your information to the relevant parties so that they can complete your transaction.
If you live or work outside of the United States of America, your personal information may be periodically transferred to a country other than where you are located and processed there in accordance with this privacy statement. Your use of the site indicates that you hereby consent to such transfers and processing as described in this privacy statement.
With whom does United Way of Metropolitan Chicago share my personal information?
United Way of Metropolitan Chicago will not sell, reveal or share with unaffiliated third parties any of your personally identifiable information except in the following limited circumstances:
- we have received your permission to share the information;
- we are authorized to do so under this privacy statement;
- we are required by law to disclose your information or to protect against fraud or illegal activity.
The safety and security of your transaction and information is important to us. We use encryption and the https security protocol, SSL, to communicate with your browser software. This method is the industry standard security protocol.
We are not responsible for the information collection practices and use of hypertext links that take you to another website, outside of United Way of Metropolitan Chicago. In addition, when you initiate a transaction through such a link, the information submitted to such an entity to complete a transaction becomes subject to that entity’s privacy or information use policies. United Way of Metropolitan Chicago is not responsible for the privacy or information use policies of such entities.
Communications and opt-out policy
You have the ability, upon registering on the website, to opt out of receiving email or other communications from United Way of Metropolitan Chicago. Alternatively, after you register, if you would like to remove your name from the United Way of Metropolitan Chicago lists you have the ability to change your registration options by using the contact information below to request that United Way of Metropolitan Chicago remove you from all lists. Your opt-out will be effective unless or until you opt to receive email by updating your user profile. Please remember, once we have provided information to other organizations as a part of transactions initiated by you, we are not responsible for their use of the information, and you should consult their privacy and information use policies.
Who may I contact for more information?
If you would like to be removed from United Way of Metropolitan Chicago mailing lists, or if you would like to update your personal information, you may notify us by email or postal mail.
- Email: unitedwayhelp@LIVEUNITEDchicago.org
- Postal Mail: Attn: United Way Help Desk, 333 S. Wabash Ave., 30th Floor, Chicago, IL 60604
United Way of Metropolitan Chicago will use reasonable efforts to promptly resolve any issues.
The donor bill of rights
Philanthropy is based on voluntary action for the common good. It is a tradition of giving and sharing that is primary to the quality of life. To ensure that philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public, and that donors and prospective donors can have full confidence in the nonprofit organizations and causes they are asked to support, we declare that all donors have these rights:
- To be informed of the organization’s mission, of the way the organization intends to use donated resources, and of its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on the organization’s governing board, and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To have access to the organization’s most recent financial statements.
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgement and recognition.
- To be assured that information about their donation is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the organization or hired solicitors.
- To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists that an organization may intend to share.
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.